Instagram Tara Gergacs

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Losing A Legend: Elizabeth Taylor


On March 23, we lost one of the last of Hollywood's golden talent. Elizabeth Taylor died from congestive heart failure. She was 79.

Elizabeth Taylor was beautiful, but she was also an incredible actress. My first encounter with one of Taylor's films was in my Literature and Film class. We were studying Tennessee Williams' "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." I remember thinking to myself that she was the first woman that could carry a lead role. I felt like she stole the spotlight from Paul Newman. She was never overpowered by her leading men as she could always hold her own.

A few years later, I saw "Cleopatra." The role was made for her and anyone who thinks of Cleopatra thinks of Taylor. Her sex appeal, fashion and makeup made her the first million dollar actress. Sadly, I have not seen all of Taylor's films, but I'm eager to see "BUtterfield 8" and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" which are the two films that she won an Academy Award for.

She will be missed as I believe there's no one in Hollywood like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment