Instagram Tara Gergacs

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Nothing Funny About "The Lovely Bones"


My title maybe deceiving, but I actually did enjoy The Lovely Bones. My reason for my title is that I sat through the entire film with two teenage girls laughing. This film is not a comedy. There's nothing funny about a fourteen year old girl being lured into the underground with a creepy old man who murders her. Nothing funny at all.


I haven't read the book, but I've been told that it's more graphic than the film. I read in an issue of Entertainment Weekly that Peter Jackson was getting criticized for not putting in the rape scene. Now, who would want to see that? Not me. Personally, I think Peter Jackson did an excellent job allowing the audience to figure out what really happened to Susie Salmon (Saoirse Ronan). There are plenty of hints and foreshadowing moments throughout the film.


The world that Jackson creates for Susie is visually breathtaking. Her world between heaven and earth, which becomes her own personal heaven yet her hell in one.


George Harvey (Stanley Tucci) is amazing in this role. Yes he's a creeper, but he took on this role and completely transformed himself. He really deserves an award for his performance.


Overall, it's a good film. It really makes you think about the people around you and who you can really trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment