Instagram Tara Gergacs

Monday, June 13, 2011

"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" Brings History to Life

Everyone knows I'm a huge "Pirates" fan. I knew the film would be different and I was ready for it. I had to remind myself not to compare "On Stranger Tides" to the previous ones. I will admit, I missed components from the other films. There were times when I was waiting for Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom to pop up. I missed Jack's infamous entrance and the crew of the Black Pearl. God, I missed the Pearl. On the bright side, Rob Marshall brought new components on board that made the film shine.

In this film, Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) finds himself without a ship and forced on the Queen Anne's Revenge by his former love, Angelica (Penelope Cruz). He must lead Blackbeard to the Fountain of Youth. Now, I thought Penelope would be an awesome pirate, but she did not appeal to me. I wanted to see a woman more ruthless, cunning and independent than Angelica. Instead, she's the first mate of her father's ship. What if she had her own ship? That would've blown Jack's mind!

My favorite part of history class was learning about Blackbeard, Ponce de Leon and the Fountain of Youth. I loved that the new "Pirates" introduced these historical legends. Ian McShane killed it as Blackbeard. He looked the part and also played the evil pirate as he was described in the history books.

Another new addition were mermaids. These mermaid are nothing like Ariel. They are "devil fish" and will lure men to their deaths. Syrena (Astrid Berges- Frisbey) is captured in order to activate the Fountain. The mermaids were okay, but not amazing.

Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) is back, but under different circumstances. Remember never trust a pirate.

Overall, the film is fun and adventurous. These films still have the ablitiy to make people think and Jack Sparrow will still have everyone questioning his actions until the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment